Forums
Author Post
Mosh
Sun Mar 06 2005, 10:23am Print
Rape barn owner
Mosh
Ok, I have some older CD-R's that I'd like to try and copy the files off, but my DVD reader/CD writer wont copy. I can see the files on the CD's, so the catalog's are ok, but when it comes to actually reading these files, nope, it don't happen. It seems only a section of these CD's are dodgy, as some files can be read, while other can't.

Question: I've heard about software that will read partially written CD's, or CD's where the burn has failed. Would this software be able to ready CD's where some of the files apparently cant be read? Any suggestions as to what would be decent software for doing this type of thing?

Please assist.

Cheers.
Wanker
Wed Mar 09 2005, 03:58pm
Killer of trolls
Wanker
Thrash is right, try making an image of the disk, programs like fantom CD or Clone CD make all the disk contents into one file on your hard drive, and works even if the disk is blank. What it does, is compresses and breaks down files and emulates it as a fake CD rom. So, say you make the image file of your cd, you mount it on this "virtual software drive" and it will read it as a software version of a CD. This way, when it compiles, the data is converted into one universal readable state, which is done by the program.

Sorry for sounding so technical, its easier to show you then to explain it. Try it out, ive had CDs that were scratched to hell and wouldnt read, so i made an image and it worked like new...
Mosh
Thu Mar 10 2005, 06:13am
Rape barn owner
Mosh
Nah, that makes perfect sense... I understand how the CD read/writes... I just couldnt get how a clone prog might copy the unreadable file...

Cheers

Go to: